Monday, October 03, 2005

Tracking Taxis

So apparently New York's taxi drivers are up in arms about a plan to equip their cabs with tracking devices that would allow the companies they work for to determine where they are at all times.

I don't have a lot of details on this; I just heard a brief bit on NPR this morning. I'm assuming that the cab companies would claim it's for safety reasons...a bit disingenuous, is my sense, given that you quite rarely hear about incidents involving taxicabs. On the other hand, my understanding is that cab drivers get paid a portion of what they take in, so I can't imagine that cab companies are concerned that their drivers are spending too much time malingering.

How would I feel about this, if I drove a cab? I'd think it was an infringement of my privacy. And I'd be up in arms about it too.