Friday, October 21, 2005

The Apocalypse

My office building recently installed Captivate Network in our elevators. You know, those screens that show a constant display of advertising and news programming and advertising disguised as news programming. Because after all, I wouldn’t want to be able to spend 15 whole seconds of my day free from a blitz of useless information.

Today, in the time it took me to get from the 23rd floor, where my office is, to the ground floor, I learned these two terrifying bits of “news”:

1. At the age of 59, Sylvestor Stallone will be returning to the silver screen to star (for the sixth time) as Rocky Balboa. And yes, he will be getting back into the ring. But at least the film has a clever title. It’s going to be called...“Rocky Balboa.”

2. At the age of 56, Rick Springfield will be returning to General Hospital to reprise his role as Dr. Noah Drake. I fear that a re-make of “Jessie’s Girl”, followed by a world-wide tour, cannot be far behind.

Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins may be right after all. The apocalypse is nigh.