Monday, October 10, 2005

The Meaning of Life

So what is it that makes life meaningful?

The reason I ask is that I get depressed because I feel like my stupid job as a lawyer isn't making a damn bit of difference in the world and I wish I'd been a journalist or something important like that, and then I speak to my friend who IS a journalist and she feels like her stupid job as a journalist isn't making a damn bit of difference in the world and she wishes she'd been a lawyer or something important like that.

So is it just that no matter what you do, eventually it'll feel stupid and meaningless, or is it that there ARE jobs out there that aren't stupid and meaningless but it just happens that none of my generally very intelligent, motivated and interesting friends have managed to find one?