Friday, October 14, 2005

Celebrity Non-Sightings

So I was at dinner once in Soho with a bunch of friends and we sat right next to Fred Durst (lead singer of Limp Biskit) and Donnie Wahlberg (former New Kid on the Block and brother of Mark Wahlberg). Talk about a B-list celebrity sighting! Of course, in typical me fashion, I would never have noticed either one of them if they hadn't been pointed out to me, even though they were sitting so close to me I could've reached out and touched them.

Sigh. I'm so oblivious. I walked past Ted Danson once and didn't even know it. And Harrison Ford. Who's much shorter than you'd think he would be, by the way. Oh, and I sat next to Daniel Day Lewis in a restaurant about five years ago and didn't recognize him either. I did recognize Johnny Cochran at my beauty salon, though. Of course, he was wearing a lemon yellow suit and carrying a purse at the time. And I have on several occasions recognized Ric Ocasek walking around the Gramercy Park area, but he's so freaky-looking you'd have to be far more oblivious than even I am to miss him.

Let's see, what other celebrities have I completely failed to notice until they were pointed out to me? Danny Aiello, at the Russian Tea Room. Robbie Williams, in a black Range Rover (Land Rover?) driving around Notting Hill. The chick who played Charlotte on Sex in the City at a Broadway show (Frankie and Johnny on the Clair de Lune, in case you're interested, back when Edie Falco and Stanly Tucci were in it and it was great, as opposed to Rosie Perez and Joe Pantaliano who replaced them and apparently sucked). Jesse Jackson on the shuttle flight to D.C. Actually, I did notice him, but only because they held the flight up for him AND he was sitting only two rows in front of me.

And that concludes this morning's presentation of "Celebrities I Have Failed to Recognize," which has been brought to you by "It's Friday And I Don't Feel Like Working, Inc." Use or reproduction of the contents of this post without the express written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning. If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you at government expense. God Save the Queen.