Friday, April 21, 2006

Apparently cuteness is also in the eye of the beholder

There's a pair of pigeons nesting in my back yard. OK, maybe back yard is a slightly grandiose term to use for the tiny patch of concrete and grass that the first floor of my apartment opens out to, so let me rephrase that: there's a pair of pigeons nesting in the tiny patch of concrete and grass that the first floor of my apartment opens out to.

And they're really cool.

Now don't get me wrong, I share the typical New Yorker's dislike and disgust for the average pigeon-on-the-street, but these two seem different. They're plump and shiny and well-groomed, they don't seem to be depositing a lot of pigeon poop around the place, and they're kind of cutely affectionate with each other.

Wisely enough, they've decided not to build their nest at ground level. Instead, they've built it on a ledge on the building behind mine, about a dozen feet up, under a slight overhang. Because the building is very close to mine, they're only about two or three yards from my second floor window.

Do you think this means I'll be one of the few New Yorkers who actually gets to see a baby pigeon?