Thursday, April 13, 2006

If it had been "expired registration day" would you have let me off with a warning?

So I got a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt yesterday. Never mind the fact that I was sitting in traffic so bad that it had taken us 45 minutes to make it from 30th Street to 51st Street. Never mind the fact that the car hadn’t moved a fucking inch in at least ten minutes. Never mind the fact that the only reason I’d taken OFF my seat belt in the first place is because we were STUCK IN TRAFFIC and I wanted to stretch for a few minutes. Never mind all that.

It was “seat belt day,” the cop told me. I interpreted that to mean “it’s Passover-so-lots-of-Jews-will-be-in-their-cars-so-let’s-fill-the-city’s-coffers day.”

Sigh. The ticket was only $40 (I’d expected it to be about $60). And at least the cop spared me the lecture on the dangers of NOT wearing a seat belt. I guess even he realized how ludicrous that would be, given the circumstances.

Remind me never to drive anywhere on Passover again.