Sunday, May 14, 2006

At least it wasn't cubic zirconia

My friend L (the one whose ex-husband who made her buy a new bed before he'd stay over her place) recently bought an apartment.

Being a prudent sort, she decided to purchase homeowners insurance to cover said apartment.

And while she was at it, she decided to buy personal articles coverage for the single decent piece of jewelry she had, a Tiffany diamond necklace her ex-husband had given her.

But first, she was told, she would have to get the necklace appraised. So off she went to Tiffany, necklace in hand. And as she handed it over the counter, she flashed back to the day he had given it to her. The little blue Tiffany box with its elegantly tied white ribbon. The anxious look on his face as he presented it to her.

"I hope you like it," he had said, with uncharacteristic concern. "I had the hardest time deciding what to get you. I was driving the sales clerk crazy."

"I'm sure I'll love it," she replied, as she accepted the box. And she was right. She did. It was gorgeous
"When did you say this was purchased?" the clerk asked, interrupting her reverie.

"Fall of 2003," she answered. "He gave it to me for my birthday that October."

The clerk frowned. "I don't have any record of it. Although it definitely looks like one of our pieces."

L was perplexed. "Hmm," she said. "Maybe he bought it a little earlier than I thought? Maybe the summer of 2003?"

"OK, I found it," the clerk said, after another minute of typing. "You were off by a couple of years. He bought it in December of 2000. Let me just go print this out."

The clerk excused herself, leaving L to face the realization that the necklace her ex-husband had "the hardest time deciding on" and had "driven the sales clerk crazy over" was, in fact, a re-gift, having obviously been purchased as a Christmas present for his previous girlfriend.

Of course, with that discovery any guilt she might have felt about keeping the necklace in the first place vanished entirely...