Thursday, April 27, 2006

It's a fucking t.v. show, damn it

One of the favorite pastimes in my neighborhood is mocking the people waiting on line at Magnolia Bakery.

"It's a fucking cupcake, damn it," the locals say, rolling their eyes and shaking their heads, and bemoaning the passage of Mary's Off Jane, whose cupcakes, they all agree, were infinitely better than Magnolia's.

I happen to like Magnolia's cupcakes. A lot. OK, I won't wait in line for them, but luckily I don't have to, as I live close enough to pop in on slow nights and satisfy my craving for buttercream frosting.

What I find far more annoying than the lines themselves is their primary source, namely, the "Sex and the City" tours. On what seems like an hourly basis, huge golden buses with "On Location Tours" splashed across the side rumble down 11th Street, make a right onto Hudson, then pull over and disgorge dozens upon dozens of identically clad women (and the occasional sheepish-looking male). En masse, they disembark, gather in the park next to the Bleecker playground, and listen intently to what I imagine must be a detailed description of the Sex and the City episode where Carrie helped Samantha stuff cupcakes up her vagina. Or something like that.

I know I'm far from the first to complain about this, but come on, folks...the fucking show has been over for MORE THAN TWO YEARS. Could we please move on with our lives?

The Villager once credited the Sex and the City tours with "remaking" the area. The rest of us just wish the show's fans would restrict their gawking to Il Cantinori.